[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Oct 9 13:34:28 EDT 2008

In a message written on Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:35:29PM +0100, michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
> I suggest that the AC consider rewording this policy to refer
> to "Sparsely Populated Regions" rather than the Caribbean. Also
> include a clause that states:

I'm not sure "sparely populated" captures the problems in the
Caribbean.

For instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Providence has a
density of 966 people per square kilometer.  Kansas,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas, has a density of 12.7 people
per square kilometer.

The issue is geography.  Kansas has fiber in it, from multiple
providers.  Kansas can connect to one of 10's if not 100's of
networks in the US relatively cheaply.

http://www.columbus-networks.com/images/columbusnetworksmap.jpg

Many islands have only one cable system.  A few are fortunate enough
to have two.  As you might guess, the cost of 1000 miles of undersea
cable to get to an island is orders of magnitude more than 500 miles
of terrestrial fiber across Kansas along a railroad or gas pipeline.

Often, even where there are two systems providers use things like
the distribution of IP addresses to create competitive advantage.

So I don't believe population density has anything to do with the
problem, and I would not support taking the definition in a direction
that uses population density as a metric.