[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-4 - Staff Assessment

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Oct 8 17:21:53 EDT 2008

In a message written on Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 02:07:45PM -0700, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Does staff's understanding of the geographic applicability of this policy
> proposal match the intent of the authors and supporters?  I'm not sure
> whether the Bouvet Islands, US Minor Outlying Islands, St Pierre and
> Miquelon, Heard and McDonald Islands and/or St Helena fit within the
> intended scope or not...

I had to research.  With the exception of the US Minor Outlying
Islands I think the rest would be rather surprised to find that
they were "Caribbean", at least if climate has anything to do with
it.  :)

That said, there is still an interesting question here if they
should be included in the policy for the same general reasons as
the Caribbean islands, some info, and my take below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvet_Island

  "Despite being uninhabited, ..."

  My take: Doesn't really matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Minor_Outlying_Islands

  "The United States Minor Outlying Islands, a statistical designation
   defined by the International Organization for Standardization's ISO
   3166-1 code, consists of nine United States insular areas.

   Palmyra Atoll is the only incorporated territory. As of 2008, none of
   the islands has any permanent residents. The only population are
   temporarily stationed scientific and military personnel..."

  My take: Doesn't really matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Pierre_and_Miquelon

  "The population of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon at the 2006 local census
   was 6,125 inhabitants."

  My take: Seems like they would likely have the same issues as the
           Caribbean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heard_Island_and_McDonald_Islands

  "Heard Island and McDonald Islands (abbreviated as HIMI[1]) are barren
   islands located in the Southern Ocean, about two-thirds of the way from
   Madagascar to Antarctica, 7718 km due south of Rajapur, Maharashtra,
   India[2] and approximately 4099 km west of Perth.[3] They have been
   territories of Australia since 1947..."

  My take: Why isn't this in APNIC?  It's been an Australia territory
           since before the RIR system.  I'd like a history lesson as
           to why this stayed with ARIN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Helena

  "Saint Helena has a small population of about 4,250 inhabitants,..."

  My take: Seems like they would likely have the same issues as the
           Caribbean.  LACNIC / AfriNIC would seem to make more sense
           from a geographic point of view, but RIPE from a geopolitical
           point of view.  Seems a bit odd this one stayed with ARIN as
           well.

That was an educational diversion.