[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Nov 25 05:46:52 EST 2008

> Policies cannot
> afford to take such an approach, because the people and
> organizations we are talking about serve and are part of the
> community.  I doubt that many government agencies throughout
> the world have even begun to consider conversion.  That
> includes hospitals, social security systems, and, just
> imagine departments of motor vehicles throughout the U.S.

That's what service providers are for. If an organization cannot
do it themselves, then they can simply hire a service provider
to give them a functioning v4/v6 hybrid network, including the
necessary IP addresses. I would expect a service provider to
provide an optimal mix such that they do not need to use too
many scarce globally unique IPv4 addresses.

It's not a question of whether we all lockstep transition to
IPv6 or whether we all lockstep build NAT upon NAT to prolong
the IPv4 network for the next 50 years. In fact, there are
more tools in the kit than just NAT44 and IPv6. There is also
Teredo, 6to4, NATPT, NAT66, proxy servers, cloud computing
and other things which some organizations, especially network
service providers, are now implementing. We have not yet even
exhausted the possibilities of our imaginations.

For instance, imagine a tool which bundles up your server's
hard drive into a virtual machine image, installs that in
a cloud-computing data center, and fronts it with a v4-v6
proxy server that makes it seem as though the v4 services on
that server are fully v6 enabled. While at the same time leaving
open direct v4 access to it. This is possible with today's
technology and the only thing that I'm stretching here is
that a service provider would need a few months of development
time to put all the pieces together with a management console
like Ganeti.

> Consider this last one carefully: government agencies are
> MOST put at a disadvantage with a black market because they
> are often precluded from participation, both by law and by
> the fact that black marketeers generally don't deal with governments.

That's why they should go to ARIN to get free IPv4 addresses,
and to their favorite service provider to get functional IPv6
connectivity and IPv6 consulting support. If the government
comes, they *WILL* build it.

ARIN has little to no role to play in this area.

--Michael Dillon