[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Nov 24 16:06:42 EST 2008

The community will survive just fine through the IPv4 runout..  at least
as well as it will if there is a reclamation effort..  the whole
reclamation issue is a red herring that hides the real issue.  The
imperative to manage IPv4 runout is illusionary.

It is rather like your home budget when you are laid off..  income is
reduced but you are pretty much at the same expenditure level, you can
stretch things out by robbing Peter to pay Paul, but in reality all you
are doing is digging a deeper hole.  The thing you really need to do is
find a new job (IPv6).  Of course you have the option of reducing
expenditures, but that really does little to prepare for the future when
unemployment insurance (IPv4) ceases to come in.

ARIN is doing a great job now.  I believe they will continue to do so
and will do what it takes to serve the community.  I do not see the
imperative to change anything.  Efforts to manage IPv4 are just going to
forestall the inevitable, and not significantly.

Right now we have a great organization with ARIN.  They are
administering the IP pool at a very nominal cost and granting great
freedom to the community.  Implementations to allow IP brokerage will
likely destroy that service, and at a cost which IMHO is too great for
the community to bear.

My vision for the future is basically that we don't need to do anything
exotic, just continue with the good job that is being done now.  Change
for the sake of change seldom does good.