[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Wed Nov 12 20:24:05 EST 2008

John Santos wrote:

> The only viable strategies seem to be 1) to make up something out
> of whole cloth and hope that when IPv6 eventually becomes viable
> and we get interconnected, the whole thing doesn't crumble to
> oblivion because there are way too many "pirated" addresses out
> there or 2) to wait for everyone else to do something first and
> eventually play catchup.

Beyond the reply you've already had about getting IPv6 addresses from
ARIN, I'll point out that you can get, though with no long-term
promises, addresses for free, together with tunnel based transit to the
IPv6 Internet.  For free, it works very, very well.  :-)  It's certainly
good enough to build "real" testbeds with very real addresses.

Links of possible interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IPv6_tunnel_brokers
http://tunnelbroker.net/
https://www.sixxs.net/

I use the tunnel brokers at the last two links myself, though I just
note that the SixXS POP I use appears to have been down, for, urhm,
quite a while.

--Jon Radel