[arin-ppml] Snarl: Using ARIN Contacts to report abuse.

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Mon Nov 3 15:59:43 EST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 8:51 AM, Stewart Dean wrote:
> I am increasingly seeing that abuse-related comments are going to our
> ARIN whois info contacts instead of abuse@<domain>. ...this seems to
> be

This is exactly what the (A)buse POC is for.  If you register that POC
(I don't see one now) you'll stop receiving mail to the other addresses.

> since these addresses are explicitly listed, where abuse@<domain> is
> one
> of the implicitly (by RFC standard) required, but not always
> incarnated

abuse at domain is bombarded by bots.  Our abuse at domain account gets 1-2k
messages per hour directly from bots.  In contrast, the Abuse POC on
ARIN has received only 2, and we nailed those spammers quickly and hard.

> Damn.  This is one of those expedient, but wrong way to do things, but
> everyone is adopting it.

No, this is exactly the right thing to do.  Assuming you had an
(A)buse contact POC.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek