[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Equitable Distribution of IPv4 Resources before IPv4 Run out

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 22 21:04:48 EDT 2008

In a message written on Wed, May 21, 2008 at 04:26:19PM -0700, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:
> I'm working on a basis assumption that Extra Large organizations
> request more addresses more frequently than any of the other groups.
> So, if allocations proceed organically with the last IANA allocation,
> there is a high likelihood that all of the last allocation will go
> to the Extra Large organizations alone.  So, in an effort to help
> smaller providers "at the end" we should reserve some space for
> them so that they can get space, even though they request that space
> less frequently.

I believe this assumption is false.

Section 4.2.4 of the NRPM covers ISP's returning for additional
space, which I believe is the most relevant section here.  Note
that end users and an ISP's very first request to ARIN have different
criteria.

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four24

  4.2.4.4. Twelve months

  After an organization has been a subscriber member of ARIN for one year,
  they may choose to request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.

Also note this was just changed to 12 months by proposal 2007-22
(http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_22.html).

Anyway, if ARIN is allocating the correct size blocks all ISP's
have been returning to ARIN approximately once every six months,
and will now be returning to ARIN approximately once every twelve
months.  The size of the allocation should have no real bearing on
this situation.