[arin-ppml] REMINDER: Proposed PDP Community Review Request

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 7 17:08:09 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Scott Leibrand <sleibrand at internap.com> wrote:
> Bill,
>
>  I don't think the proposed changes would change the informal pre-proposal
> activities at all.  There are no proposals I know of to limit pre-proposal
> discussion on PPML in any way, and we still think that such discussion is
> good and valuable, and should usually occur in advance of any formal
> process.  I also asked Scott Bradner the same question a while back, and he
> confirmed that PPML would remain open.
>
>  It's just what happens after a proposal is formally submitted to
> policy at arin.net that would be changing under the proposed new PDP.
>
>  Does that address your concerns?

Scott,

I'd be a lot happier if that was written explicitly into the proposed
process. When I see phrases like "require both staff and legal
assessments BEFORE discussion" in the overview it fires off all sorts
of red flags.

I'm not opposed to some mild structure tweaks towards then end of the
process when we're trying to zero in on a single, formal policy that's
ready for formal discussion at the meeting followed by adoption but
the front of the process is awfully good already, good enough that
changes are likely to make it worse.

Regards,
Bill

--