[arin-ppml] Legacy Space authority

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon May 5 16:35:50 EDT 2008

> People are moving from state to state and taking their cel numbers
> with
> them.  This is even happening across a span of more than one state.  I
> don't know what the definition of "geographical area" is, but I assume
> it has something to do with the reach ond interoperability of the
> telco
> switching networks.  Perhaps a more technically educated telco tech
> can
> fill in the gaps for us.

The number isn't being moved from state to state in this instance (from
a telco technology perspective).  Cellular service is a bit whacky in
that
you're dealing with an entirely different network that is sort of
overlaid
on the same geographic area, but, mostly separate with lots of common
touch points to the PSTN.

If you have a 408, for example cell phone, but, you take it with you
to VA (703, for example) or move to VA and keep the number, calls
from the PSTN to your cell phone will (regardless of where you are)
get hot-potatoed to the closest PSTN->Cell Provider hand-off point
for your given Cell provider, or, they will get routed to a hand-off
point in your original area code (depending on the setup between
the PSTN provider and Cell provider in question).  I believe the
latter is the more common occurrence.

> This doesn't change that if even one person moves from one telco to
> another (whether or not he moves physically) and he has the capability
> to demand to keep his number  - without regard to the wishes of his
> telco - then the number in question is being treated as property with
> value.

For that to be true, you would have to pretend that the end-user was
the OWNER of the number, and, that simply isn't the case.  The end-user
is, at best, a tenant in the number and this represents a bizarre
extension of tenant's rights.

Owen