[arin-ppml] Legacy Space authority

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon May 5 16:20:50 EDT 2008

>> Ah, but the telephone issue has already been decided, and telco's are

>> required to let you keep your number and area code..

>FALSE TO FACT.  _Read_ the document you cite.  I quote:
>   "If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you
may
>    not be able to take your number with you.

Yes, this is true.  If you move from one area code to another at least
within the same geographic area you will be able to take the number.
Also, the statement you included says "you may not be able to", which
infers "you may be able to"..  What it says to my reading is that if it
is technically possible to port the number then you will be able to port
the number.  The statement you cited is an out for the telco's so that
they are not required to perform the impossible.

People are moving from state to state and taking their cel numbers with
them.  This is even happening across a span of more than one state.  I
don't know what the definition of "geographical area" is, but I assume
it has something to do with the reach ond interoperability of the telco
switching networks.  Perhaps a more technically educated telco tech can
fill in the gaps for us.

This doesn't change that if even one person moves from one telco to
another (whether or not he moves physically) and he has the capability
to demand to keep his number  - without regard to the wishes of his
telco - then the number in question is being treated as property with
value.

This all is of course my humble personal opinion only, legal and binding
only so far as I can throw it.