[arin-ppml] Legacy Space authority

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Sat May 3 19:00:52 EDT 2008

> The IANA has primarily allocated
> address space to the Internet Registry (DDN NIC and InterNIC)
> and its successor, the RIRs.

Actually, I believe that the IANA primarily defines new SNMP MIBs. It
also assigns TCP and UDP port numbers and various other kinds of
Internet identifiers. As you pointed out, it has rarely ever allocated
IP addresses directly preferring to delegate that work to the InterNIC
and the RIRs.

I just wanted to emphasize that the IANA has a much broader role than
just being the top-level of the IP address allocation hierarchy. Mind
you, it was over 10 years ago when I was told about the volume of work
being mostly MIB definitions. It may have changed since then.

--Michael Dillon