[ppml] Revision to 2008-3

Steve Feldman steven.feldman at cnet.com
Mon Mar 31 20:32:05 EDT 2008

> 2.8 Community Network
>
> A community network is a generic reference to any network that is
> operated by a group of people living in a particular local area
> organized for the purposes of delivery or provision of network
> services
> to the residents of an incorporated or unincorporated regional
> municipality, city, town, village, rural municipality, township,
> county,
> district or other municipality or other such geographic space, however
> designated.

I'm not entirely comfortable with this definition.

First, what if I want to donate my help operating a network in some
other community?  Would that disqualify them?

Second, I think there does have to be some notion of not-for-profit,
or some other way to prevent a community network from competing with
regular ISPs using a more favorable set of rules.

Also, I'd like to see more explanation of why the current rules for
LIRs and end users either don't apply or are unworkable for community
networks.

I do think the idea has some merit, but I can't support this proposal
it in its current form.
	Steve