[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Cliff Bedore cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com
Thu Mar 20 19:57:07 EDT 2008

Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Mar 20, 2008, at 5:57 AM, Cliff Bedore wrote:
>> What I was trying to do was get ARIN out of the listing/pricing business
>> part of 2008-2.
>
> I have no problem with that.
>
>> In a prior post, I also suggested removing some of the
>> transfer time restrictions and prior approval requirements.  The intent
>> working to change to v6.  I think ARIN needs to allow for private
>> transfers during this time frame but should only be involved in
>> certifying the transfer, not the details of how the two (or more)
>> parties got together
>
> This is where you and I disagree.  2008-2 if I read it correctly
> requires the receiver to be able to justify the space required
> according to ARIN's guidelines.  In short, they could get space if
> ARIN had any to give them.

Jo

I had left out some of the details from some of my prior posts.  On
3/17, I wrote

"At the risk of repeating myself, I think 8.3.9 should be deleted in its
entirety.  All ARIN needs to do in the process is allow 3rd parties to
transfer IP addresses directly from one party to another without being
returned to ARIN first.  The numbers must be properly registered to the
transferor and the transferee must justify the need.  Other than that,
ARIN should have nothing to do with the dealings of the two parties.
They can trade money, resort properties or pork futures and it's
nobody's business what the transaction is."

Since people must justify the need in both cases, I assumed they would
check with ARIN first before searching the "marketplace" since this in
theory should save them money.  ARIN might publish a list of what they
have so people know when to search outside ARIN.

> I don't agree at all with your idea of removing those restrictions.

If you are talking about the transferee having to justify to ARIN, per
the above, I agree with that and just didn't state it clearly in that
last post. (And if not please let me know which ones you are referring to.)

Cliff