[ppml] Policy to help the little guys

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Mar 20 18:58:53 EDT 2008

Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

>>> How about a reservation of some block of space for allocations of
>>> /20's to Members that only meet those requirements?
>
> Reserve a block (/8, /16, whatever) for allocation in /20 or more
> specific increments to Members who meet the requirements for receiving a
> /20. Basically, just reserve some space for smaller providers so that
> they can get their /20 even if the larger blocks have been exhausted.
> But, you wouldn't assign a /19 from that block, nor would you assign
> multiple /20's to someone who normally gets a /16. That is, you have to
> be "Small to Medium" to get an allocation from that block.

A very interesting idea, and one that I think would be worth putting
together as a policy proposal to submit and discuss after Denver.

This is part of a larger set of discussions that we'll likely be having
as free pool exhaustion nears, centered around the question: What policy
changes, if any, should go into effect upon IANA free pool exhaustion to
conserve the remaining IPv4 addresses for certain uses?

-Scott