[ppml] Newbie Questions

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 20 00:51:06 EDT 2008

On 20 Mar 2008 William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:22 AM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> >  2.  I see nothing about PA in the ARIN policy documentation, and ever so
> >  little about PI.  If these are such important concepts to ARIN Policy why are
> >  they not defined better?  Or at least some references, even one 13 year old
> >  would help.
>
> Hi David,
>
> ARIN doesn't define the types as PA or PI. It defines them as
> "allocations to LIRs" (PA) and "assignments to end users" (PI). I
> think we've taken to using PI and PA in discussions because when we
> talk about allocations and assignments, even folks who've been around
> a while get confused.

Then why confuse things by using the term in 4.1.1

	4.1.1. Routability - Provider independent (portable) addresses
	issued directly from ARIN or other Regional Registries are not
	guaranteed to be globally routable. Therefore, ISPs should
	consider the following order of priority when requesting IP
	address space:

	* Request IP address space from upstream provider
	* Request IP address space from provider´s provider
	* Request IP address space from ARIN (not guaranteed to
	be globally routable)

And this is using PI in the context of ISPs not End Users too.  So it's not
quite as clean as you say.

David Farmer				Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota			Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			Cell:	612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		FAX:	612-626-1818