[ppml] Policy to help the little folk

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Mar 20 00:05:13 EDT 2008

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> how many additional routes does /29 multihoming cause over /24?
> 2. None, but it you had out /29s, you will probably many prefixes in the
>    DMZ from the same space that would otherwise be only one.

i.e. if we lower the barrier to entry, more folk will enter.  some may
think it a feature not a bug.  the fib collection is gonna grow if we
remove barriers to entry, and some thing we should do so.  but at least
this does not also eat increasingly rare ipv4 space as badly.

> The reality is that extending life of IPv4 address space and controlling
> the size of the DMZ are in direct opposition.

not necessarily.  we could go further in the direction we are already
seriously in, and give the rest of the address space to the giants.
some may think this a bug not a feature.

[ btw, though i started this sub-discussion, i am still listening and am
  of no firm opinion.  as i said, i thought it important to at least
  discuss it. ]

randy