[ppml] Markets, pricing, transparency, 2008-2 / 8.3.9

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Mar 17 09:56:34 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 5:22 AM, <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:

>> I think the entire list would appreciate you giving the SEC
>> angle a rest, as I mentioned to you in private email a couple
>> of days ago.
>
> Let me remind you that this is the PUBLIC policy mailing list, not
> the ARIN AC's policy mailing list. As a member of the ARIN AC you
> have no special rights on this list. In fact, as you so graciously
> pointed out, I gave the issue a rest for a couple of days.

Well, as a member of the PUBLIC, not just a member of the AC,
I would also appreciate it if you gave the SEC angle a rest.

> I think that I speak for the entire list in wondering why the
> ARIN AC, are pushing this transfer proposal so hard?

I don't believe that the AC is pushing the proposal so hard.
I believe that one member of the AC is pushing rather hard
for the proposal. OTOH, I, for one, am somewhere between
neutral and opposed to the proposal at this point.

I know that there are other members of the AC who are
also not necessarily in favor of this proposal.

> In the past, the ARIN AC did not attempt to run the public policy
> process, instead they responded to proposals from others. Something
> is not right...

Indeed, the following are not right:

1.	Assuming that a member of the AC posting to this list
	is posting as spokesperson for the AC and not as a
	member of the public is not right.

2.	Assuming that once elected, members of the AC are
	not members of the public and have less right to be
	involved in authoring policy than any other member
	of the public is not right.

3.	Regarding a request to stop beating a dead horse as
	an attempt to "run the public policy process" is also
	not right.

Just so we're clear here, the above is strictly my personal
opinion as a member of the public.

As a member of the AC, I will say that there is no official
AC position in favor of 2008-2, nor is there any official
AC position against 2008-2.  I am not sure what portion
of the AC supports or opposes the proposal.  I know
that during the development process, several of us were
using the approach of "assume that we need some sort of
transfer proposal, what's the best one we can come up with."

The AC has not held significant discussion about whether
or not a such a transfer proposal is something we actually
want.

Finally, this proposal is a response to requests from others.
Among others, it is a response to the ARIN Board of
Trustees.

Owen