[ppml] 2008-2 IPv4 transfer policy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Mar 13 11:05:13 EDT 2008

> I would propose that ARIN not be actively involved in
> providing lists of available addresses but only in approving
> transfers between private parties.

That's basically the system that we have now. One company acquires
another and then tells ARIN what happened and asks permission to
keep using the IP addresses. ARIN makes the decision along the same
lines, more or less, as new allocations.

If a company buys an address block on the grey market, and has a
real use for it in a real network which they are building,
I don't believe ARIN would deny any transfer under current
policy. Of course, I'm assuming that the grey market deal
is for the right size of block and that they purchaser
doesn't tell ARIN until they are within days of going
live with their new network (or renumbering from PA space).

--Michael Dillon