[ppml] Restrictions on transferor deaggregation in 2008-2: IPv4Transfer Policy Proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Mar 12 16:47:22 EDT 2008

Thus spake "Kevin Day" <kevin at your.org>
> Why sell when you can rent and keep collecting cash?

You may well get more income by selling an asset and investing the proceeds
in other things than you would renting it out.  Also, some folks aren't
willing to rent assets they consider critical; they want to own them, and
will either pay whatever price is necessary for someone to sell them those
assets or find a way to do without entirely (i.e. move to v6).

> Right now I can go to any colo provider and say "I want a half dozen
> racks, power, and connectivity for my 150 servers." and pretty easily
> get a /23 or larger. Now what happens if I say "You know, why don't
> you forget about the racks, power, bandwidth and everything else...
> How much would just the /23 be per month?"

Aside from the provider's obvious problem with their next round of ARIN
justification?

This is a case of trying to multihome with PA space except that you (in
theory) would not be buying connectivity to them.  My guess is that in
practice, they'd designate a port for you and simply not turn it up -- and
make your bill the same as if you were using them and the entire exercise
pointless.  If you're stuck with all the downsides of PA multihoming, you
might as well have connectivity to that provider and at least having things
mostly work most of the time...

> This is possible right now, and as far as I can tell not breaking any
> policies. A big hosting or colo provider with excess v4 space can SWIP
> space to the highest bidder for a large monthly check, and have the
> security that if they end up needing more v4 later they can pull it
> back.

You can bet if I'm paying someone for space under your model, I'd have the
contract written so that they couldn't take it back.

Also, the concept of folks with "excess" space is one of several reasons for
2007-14.  If that passes, expect that supply to diminish quickly, at least
the non-legacy parts of it.

> This will cause deaggregation.

Everything causes deaggregation.  Isn't that one of the laws of
thermodynamics?  Net entropy always increases.  :)