[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Mar 6 12:20:59 EST 2008

In a message written on Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:11:08AM -0800, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> In the past I've used the analogy of Manhattan real estate: it's
> definitely unique, and has only imperfect substitutes elsewhere, as IPv4
> is unique, with its own unique demand, and IPv6 is an imperfect substitute.

While we're tossing out all of our analogies, I think a better one
is Super Bowl tickets.  Some people get in early at relatively low
prices, as the big day gets closer the prise rises, scalpers appear,
etc.  Once the kick off starts any tickets still in your hands are
worthless.

IPv4 is fixed like the number of seats.  Once most of the Internet
is on IPv6 it will be worthless.  In the mean time the price, white,
grey, or black market will continue to rise bounded only be the
desire to "be there."

That desire has little to do with policy; a popular team, network,
or application could all drive demand.