[ppml] NANOG IPv4 Exhaustion BoF

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Mar 5 23:28:53 EST 2008

>On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 03:29:23PM -0800, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> > David Conrad wrote:
> > Scott,
> >
> > I have a couple more fundamental questions:
> >
> > a) What is the overarching goal the transfer policy is trying to achieve?
>
> If there were just one goal, this would be easy.  We're trying to ensure
> the continued availability of IP resources after IPv4 free pool
> exhaustion, minimizing disruption, minimizing unnecessary deaggregation,
> preserving some level of fairness, etc...

Scott:
	er... thats a list of goals :)
	how about... "maintaining the stewardship role for IP space".

> > b) What tools exist (or can be expected to exist given reasonable
> > time/resources) to enforce that policy?

David:
	are you refering to the proposed policy in the ARIN region
	on transfers?
	if so, whats wrong with the existing tools?

> > A couple of observations:
> >
> FYI, we'll be posting version 1.1 of this policy shortly, which IMO
> includes some improvements on this front.

	this is useful and productive dialog, helping to refine
	the proposal.  thanks.

--bill