[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Thu Jun 26 08:23:23 EDT 2008

Howard, W. Lee wrote:
> This is interesting.  Have you thought about how to evaluate
> whether addresses have been "used" on the IPv6 archipelago?
> How available does it have to be?  I'm not challenging the
> idea, just trying to draw out more detail.
>
> Would a proposal like this
> http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_16.html
> accomplish this goal?
>
> Lee

Partially. Certainly the part about forcing the rollout of IPv6. But the
rest of it deals with ever increasing utilization requirements and
higher and higher bars to meet to get allocations. Perhaps separating
the two would be more fruitful?

"Used" takes on different meanings, depending on who you are. For an
ISP, I would want them to bundle a /64 (or maybe a /48, open for debate)
with each IPv4 address given to a downstream customer. For an end user,
DNS populated with AAAA and A records for hosts located in the netblock.
I'm sure others can think of better/more things.

The thing of it is. Once some tipping point is reached, I think you'll
see existing holders of IPv4 space coming to ARIN to get IPv6 space so
they can roll out IPv6 to existing customers and get them dual-stacked
as well. Then the ball is rolling... Once enough folks are dual-stacked,
then v6-only can survive on it's own merits (years away, but we have to
plan the route).

-lee