[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Tue Jun 24 20:56:50 EDT 2008

Howard, W. Lee wrote:

>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net
>> [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Lee Dilkie
>>

>> do need to push hard for IPv6 adoption.
>>

> What would that look like?
>
> Lee

Well, at the beginning, it would be something small, presumably. On the
order of 5 to 10 pounds (2.5 to 5 Kilo's), and pink.. Oh yes, it will
cry a lot. But folks on this list should be used to that ;)

Seriously folks.

Dual stack is the only reasonable way to both get IPv6 deployed *and*
maintain legacy networking with IPv4-only hosts/applications. Your
recently passed proposal to set aside IPv4 space for yet-to-be-developed
v4<->v6 translators is mostly wishing for magic to happen. Not to say
there won't be some application translators written but for the majority
of apps, dual stack is the most reasonable solution going forward. That,
I think, is why the IETF abandoned NAT-PT and came out swinging hard for
dual stack.

And for dual-stack to happen, we need to force the issue because it
seems pretty obvious that it isn't going to happen anytime soon if we
just sit and wait for folks to get on board with their good intentions.
It hasn't happened yet and we've been at this for how many years now...

And we are running out of time. We need to do 2 things.

1. Give out IPv6 allocations with each IPv4 allocation with instructions
to use it.
2. Check that it gets used before giving out any more allocations. And
by used, I mean, made available to downstream customers if applicable.

There you go, no excuses, deploy dual stack or get no more allocations.
once everybody "gets it", I think you'll see IPv6 connectivity being
rolled out real fast, everywhere. All these big consumers of ip
addresses are very smart business folks, working within a set of rules
and regulations to get their job done is nothing new, if everyone has to
do it, it's simply table stakes.

-lee