[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transferpolicy: whythetriggerdate?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Tue Jun 24 13:42:14 EDT 2008

On Jun 24, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> Kevin Kargel wrote:
>
>> I strongly oppose any effort to create an artificial IP commodities
>> market.  I know it is a philosophical stand and will draw many
>> flames,
>> but the Americans who most benefit from access to internet are the
>> low
>> to middle income groups, and adding even small charges to that access
>> could take internet out of their grasp.  Anything we can do to
>> prevent
>> raising that cost will benefit society.  While we are all more
>> comfortable than many families, please don't forget those who have to
>> make hard decisions budgeting for residential information services.
>
> Which will raise costs to those groups more: denying their ISPs the
> ability to get new IPv4 addresses?  Or allowing them to make a
> choice of
> whether or not to get addresses on the transfer market?
>
> If you're not sure, consider an analogy: which would it be better to
> tell a low-income family? "I'm sorry, gas is too scarce, so we stopped
> selling it here: you'll need to ride the bus." or "I'm sorry gas is so
> expensive: if it works better for you, you might want to consider
> riding
> the bus instead."
>
> -Scott

If the family suspected, rightly or wrongly, that gas was so expensive
because it was being hoarded/manipulated, then even a polite
characterization/suggestion might not deter them from exploring
"other" alternatives.

If that message happened to be delivered by someone riding in a big
car with a built-in lifetime supply of gas, and then some, some of
those other alternatives might be of the "kill the messenger" variety.

Probably best not to have to deliver messages like that at all, unless
it's universally obvious that all conceivable constructive
alternatives have been exhausted.

TV