[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the triggerdate?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Tue Jun 24 01:34:23 EDT 2008

> And hereine lies yet another problem with IPv6, at least for the smaller
> operator that's connected to multiple larger Tier1 ASs.  If the larger
> operators are taking a slow and steady approach to IPv6, then how they heck
> is the little guy going to get IPv6 connectivity / transit?
>
> -Jay Sudowski

if at all possible, buy transport to an IXP and buy your transit without any
kind of transport lock-in.  that way if your provider doesn't offer you what
you need (good pricing, good support, services like ipv6, and so on) you can
add a link to a provider who will offer those things.

if it's not possible, you can still sample the ipv6 technology using tunnels,
which is how a lot of us got started, both for transit and in our interiors,
before native ipv6 was available.  hurricane electric, for example, runs a
tunnel broker and i think i remember that it's free of charge.