[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Sun Jun 22 12:23:26 EDT 2008

Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>
>> In the case of
>> 2008-2, the goal is to keep deaggregation pressures the same as they
>> would be under a continuation of the current system (if we had more
>> addresses to give out).  In other words, I believe that the
>> extrapolation of current routing table size trend lines that Schiller
>> et. al. have presented represents the eventual situation under 2008-2
>> about as well as possible given the inherent uncertainties.
>
> I don't believe for one second that 2008-2 as it is currently written would
> achieve this.  I believe it will reduce the speed with which deaggregation
> and disaggregation pressures increase, but, in any market scenario,
> disaggregation pressures will increase.  Some worse than  others
> and APNICs proposal is certainly worse than 2008-2.

Yes, in any exhaustion scenario, deaggregation pressures *on existing
space* will increase somewhat: as far as I can tell that's inevitable.
However, I'm not convinced that the rate of increase in the routing
table will necessarily increase.  Currently we are "deaggregating" the
free pool into one route per growing multihomed organization per year.
If we instead deaggregate deployed space to meet the same demand, and
apply restrictions as in 2008-2, I'm not convinced we'd see any more
deaggregation than is the inevitable result of more networks joining the
Internet (and that's a good thing).

Do you have reason to believe that deaggregation pressures will be
larger under 2008-2 than under a no-transfers exhaustion scenario, where
incumbents with space lease/SWIP it to downstreams needing the space?

As Randy has pointed out, most of the deaggregates in the current table
are more-specifics of RIR-allocated routes.  Under a no-transfer or
2008-2-type policy, I would expect that to remain the case, at least
unless/until routing table growth starts to outstrip router capacity growth.

-Scott