[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jun 22 06:26:04 EDT 2008

On Jun 21, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> John Curran wrote:
>
>> Now, if we want to talk
>> about smoke, where's all of the modeling from the open market
>> folks regarding consequences to the routing table?
>

> Whom are you referring to as "open market folks"?  In the case of
> 2008-2, the goal is to keep deaggregation pressures the same as they
> would be under a continuation of the current system (if we had more
> addresses to give out).  In other words, I believe that the
> extrapolation of current routing table size trend lines that Schiller
> et. al. have presented represents the eventual situation under 2008-2
> about as well as possible given the inherent uncertainties.

I don't believe for one second that 2008-2 as it is currently written
would
achieve this.  I believe it will reduce the speed with which
deaggregation
and disaggregation pressures increase, but, in any market scenario,
disaggregation pressures will increase.  Some worse than  others
and APNICs proposal is certainly worse than 2008-2.

Owen