[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the triggerdate?

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:42:32 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> People who are willing to break the rules do not care what rules you
>> put in place.
>
> this is the "they are bad people" theory, a subset of the black
> helicopter theme.
>
> repeat the following mantra a few times and the fear will go away.
>
>   it's just business.
>   they are just trying to get their work done.
>
> of course there are bad folk on the net; c.f. recent hijack allegations.
> but the current address traders seem to be consenting parties on both
> sides.  they are just trying to get their work done despite amateur
> over-regulation.

I was not trying to imply that anyone involved was necessarily "bad"
(or "good" for that matter) and I definitely have no opinion on their
mode of transportation ;).  My point is that if a market (of sorts -
term applied liberally) exists today when IP numbers are free and
available, why would these market players go through the trouble of a
sanctioned transfer in the future?  Why (and/or how) will this policy
(or any transfer policy) change existing behavior?

I simply suggest that some will "just try to get their work done
despite [perceived] amateur over-regulation" regardless of what that
specific regulation is.

~Chris