[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the triggerdate?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jun 20 15:32:30 EDT 2008

> of course there are bad folk on the net; c.f. recent hijack allegations.
> but the current address traders seem to be consenting parties on both
> sides.  they are just trying to get their work done despite amateur
> over-regulation.
>
> randy

there are more than two parties to these transactions.  the community has a
stake in every address allocation especially if it affects the global routing
table but even if it does not.  that there are two consenting adults may be
true, but it's irrelevant since there are others who are being affected who
are not being informed nor asked to consent.  the mechanism for that informed
consent is the RIR policy process.  and while you may find it amateurish, i
think it compares quite favourably to what happens in meatspace or telecoms,
and i'd stack our community's brainpower, objectivity, goodwill, perspective,
and experience up against any other regulation system anywhere in the world
at any time in history.