[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the trigger date?

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Fri Jun 20 13:30:29 EDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 1:10 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

>>> isn't this inevitable in times of shortage, ...
>
>> I don't accept your premise that a market is inevitable.
>
> what else have you ever seen humans do in times of shortage?  you
> have all of
> recorded human history to draw from.  show us some alternatives.

Sometimes they perceive a better possibility on the far side of that
"shortage", and being uncertain that a random walk (competitive
marathon?) of diverse individuals with unequal capacities, diverse
motives, and imperfect information will ever get them there -- and
rather than risk the possibility of never making it across, they
decide to embark on a collaborative, cooperative effort.

Examples:
The Marshall Plan
European Monetary Union
The last addressing & routing crisis