[arin-ppml] Q1 - ARIN address transfer policy: why the trigger date?

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Fri Jun 20 12:49:34 EDT 2008

without commenting on the merits of your "no transfers allowed" policy
recommendation, i do have questions about one thing you've said here:

> I do not believe that allowing address space to flow only to those with the
> greatest financial resources is in the best interests of the internet.  That
> is one predictable outcome of an address trading market.

isn't this inevitable in times of shortage, regardless of the shade (regulated
or unregulated) of the market that inevitably occurs when humans face
shortages?  if it is, then our choice is not whether a market appears, but
rather, whether that inevitable market is regulated or unregulated.

> I think that the subprime mortgage and oil futures markets are examples of
> how professionally regulated markets fail to do the right thing, and I
> cannot imagine that we will somehow miraculously do better than the
> regulators in those markets.

do you think that the oil and gas situation right now would be worse or better
if that market were less regulated than it is?  if you think it would be worse
then could it not also be the case that the professionals who regulate that
market could be part of a vast corrupt kleptocracy, or institutionally
incompetent, or just less well rewarded/motivated/resourced than those they
regulate?  in short can you explain why you consider this a parallel case?