[arin-ppml] ARIN apathy

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Jun 18 07:07:21 EDT 2008

In this article about hijacking IPv4 address blocks
<http://www.47-usc-230c2.org/chapter3.html>, the author states that ARIN
is in a state of apathy about the whole thing.

Is this true? If true, is it right? Should we lobby the ARIN BoT to
simply wipe out these "transfers" on the basis of the evidence in that
article, in the hopes that it will attract a legal challenge so we can
get some stronger case-law support? Or should we lobby the ARIN BoT to
charge in and sue this Mulligan fellow first?

Or should we just leave it alone and be happy that there is now clear
precedent for hijacking addresses? This will go some way to alleviate
the IP address shortage that is looming although this doesn't help those
who want to hijack 126.0.0.0/8 or 130.0.0.0/8.

--Michael Dillon