[arin-ppml] Creating a market for IPv4 address space in absence of routing table entry market

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jun 16 18:16:04 EDT 2008

[mailto:bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com]
> > We have very strong reasons to assume that people do want to buy
> > addresses. We know less about whether people will sell addresses. I
> > agree, it's an uncertain situation.
>
> 	"we" is whom in this context?

Everyone I know of involved in this discussion, with the possible
exception of you. ;-)

> 	"strong reasons" - which are?  please elaborate the reasons
> 		and why they are particularly strong?

Is this a trick question? The strong reasons are the continued fast
growth in the ipv4 Internet, the depletion of the v4 free pool and the
huge uncertainty regarding the leap to ipv6.

> 	I still have no assurance
> 	that my ISP will be willing or able to route packets - but that
> 	issue is not something ARIN (or any RIR) can do anything about.

That was precisely my point. If ARIN or any other RIR authorizes address
transfers, that act in and of itself neither undermines nor improves
routability.