[arin-ppml] Creating a market for IPv4 address space in absence of routing table entry market

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Mon Jun 16 13:01:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 12:13:39PM -0400, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> We have very strong reasons to assume that people do want to buy
> addresses. We know less about whether people will sell addresses. I
> agree, it's an uncertain situation.

	"we" is whom in this context?
	"strong reasons" - which are?  please elaborate the reasons
		and why they are particularly strong?

> A more glib answer to your initial question is that since no one can
> assure routability outside their own infrastructure, why would they ever
> get addresses from ARIN? I.e. the routability problem is a problem with
> or without transfer markets.

	People get address space from ARIN for several strong reasons;
	the primary one (the reason I get space from ARIN) is assured
	uniqueness.  Because they are unique, I can then approach my
	ISP's and request routability, knowing the uniquness can beassured
	(bogons can be identified and eliminated).  I still have no assurance
	that my ISP will be willing or able to route packets - but that
	issue is not something ARIN (or any RIR) can do anything about.

--bill