[arin-ppml] Creating a market for IPv4 address space in absence of routing table entry market

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Sun Jun 15 22:11:49 EDT 2008

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
>  your statement, "who is going to put down [] money for addresses ... that have
>  a substantial risk of non-routability."  is key.  Since no one can assure
>  routability -outside- their own infrastructure, why would anyone buy addresses?

Because they know how to calculate risk, make business decisions, and
hire lawyers who know how to write commercial contracts?  As for the
original question, if anything even vaguely approaching an open market
develops, I would expect the price of addresses to reflect their
quality.  Start selling me /28s at 10 cents each and I'll buy a couple
thousand just to see if some of them eventually work out.  I rather
suspect that I'd be outbid.

--Jon Radel