[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Wed Jun 11 11:17:48 EDT 2008

I said, in response to Randy:
> > and, in the meantime, we the incumbents use routing table
> aggregation
> > as a excuse for creating a barrier to entry.
>
> I still don't see PA space as a barrier to "entry."  It can
> be construed as a barrier to "exit" maybe, but only for the
> very smallest providers.  Current PI policy (4.2.2) says /20
> for a single-homed or /22 for a multihomed ISP in IPv4, which
> is not very many customers.  In IPv6, it's "a plan for making
> 200 end-site assignments...within 5 years."

Owen suggested I should also point out that in IPv6, you could
also "be an existing, known ISP in the ARIN region" which plans
to assign some IPv6 address space, even if less than 200.

The barrier is low.

I find it interesting that there are two arguments currently
under the subject line "simple question about money":
* fees are too high and prevent end users from getting space
* fees are too low and do not encourage conservation
These two arguments should find each other.  I look forward
to consensus.

Lee