[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Jun 10 18:47:57 EDT 2008

Good comment. Inline

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]

I think that if router resources are indeed a very scarce resource, that
it is ISPs that ought to set that price/resource policy, not ARIN.
IPv6 was meant to have essentially infinite space: everyone can have a
block of portable address space.  Of course, it may cost to get it
routed...But that isn't ARINs balliwick, and ARIN has no business
influencing that through allocation policy.  Here also I question what
are the interests of ARIN vs the interests of the Board Members and a
very small group of companies [Nanog] in control of all the Board seats.
And I note that previously, many in Nanog opposed accepting longer
prefixes from classful /16 (former class B's). Their objection then was
impact on router memory limitations on the routers in their networks;
they would have to spend money to upgrade their routers [particularly
Verio].

> But if you think that is not the case, it raises a question: how would
> one find out what _does_ motivate the pricing policies? Are the economic
> assumptions underlying ARIN fees stated anywhere in ARIN documents? Are
> there archives of discussions regarding that topic?

You can find the ARIN board meeting minutes through the ARIN website.
I don't know if you'll find much.

> A post by M. Dillon indicated that fees were set by ARIN
> members/officers only, which is appropriate enough. However, he also
> expressed an opinion that the topic of address fees was off-limits for
> the public policy list. I would have to disagree with that.

I'd have to agree with Dr. Mueller. This topic is on-topic for PPML. I
note the Mr.  Dillon is one of the NANOG members whom I often point out.
In anycase, Mr. Dillon does not select topics for the list, and does not
offically represent ARIN in any capacity, but is just an ARIN member.

> In the emerging environment of v4 depletion, etc., the fees people pay
> (directly or indirectly) for IP addresses will be one of _the_ major
> public policy issues for the next five years or so. It will have a
> major impact on address conservation, route aggregation, the v6
> migration, etc. Of course, discussion of that issue here does not
> constitute some kind of a assertion that fee levels should be set
> here, but as the unclear responses to Brian's original question shows,
> everyone could benefit from a wider discussion of the relationship
> between address utilization and fee structures.

I agree.

		--Dean

617 344 9000