[arin-ppml] simple question about money

Joe Baptista baptista at publicroot.org
Sun Jun 8 11:09:00 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Brian Reid <reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
wrote:

> Given how much IPv6 address space exists, why is it so damned expensive? I
> decided it was time to turn up IPv6 connectivity to my world, but when I
> went to look at prices for buying even a small block of portable address
> space I realized I couldn't afford it.

a lot of people feel just like you.  they want to try out ipv6 - but when
they realize the resource costs they quickly shy away for various reasons
all associated with the extraordinary cost - which simply can't be
justified.

> Given that this is a fictitious resource, and that there is no intrinsic
> cost, ARIN should be charging about 1/100th of their listed prices for it.
> Is there a legitimate reason for the ultra-high prices? Is ARIN owned by
> Prada?

Of course there is no legitimate reasons for the ultra-high prices.  It is
simply a question of how much they can get away with before the community
gives them the finger.  Which I think it already has by rejecting ipv6 as a
viable vehicle.

If I were IANA Iwould be giving away allocations just to get people moving
on the transition to ipv6.  The goal to ensure every user has their own ipv6
allocations.

regards
joe baptista

--