[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Jon Radel jradel at vantage.com
Fri Jun 6 11:59:47 EDT 2008

[Forgive me, for I know what I do and yet I do it anyway.]

Dean Anderson wrote:
> 'dns mostly works in v6' doesn't seem very specific, not does it
> actually dispute any fact I asserted.
>
> 1.  You could claim that there are actually IPv6 root servers.
> [that would be something objectively determined.]

Could you please define what you mean by an "IPv6 root server."  You
see, I think most people would mean something along the lines of "a DNS
server which responds to queries about TLD nameservers across the IPv6
Internet."  So I just had a nice chat with m.root-servers.net on
2001:dc3::35 and among other fine servers for com. it told me about
a.gtld-servers.net which was nice enough to talk to me on
2001:503:a83e::2:30 about the SLD I was curious about.  So what vital
part of the IPv6 puzzle is still missing in the land of root servers?
> 2.  You could claim that IPv4 and IPv6 DNS records aren't mixed. [that
> could also be objectively determined.]

You mean A and AAAA records all mushed together in one zone?  Of course
they are.  I'm not sure I've ever seen an explanation from you as to why
this is a concern.
> 3.  You could claim that one must remove IPv4 NS records for IPv6 NS
> records. [that could also be objectively determined]

Ooops, you appear to be arguing against yourself here; you already made
that claim yourself.
> Instead, you just resort to namecalling. Well, we already know that
> namecalling is no basis for a technical argument. In fact, we also know
> that namecalling is the last resort of the weakminded, who have no facts
> to support their views.
>
>                 --Dean

The problem isn't that you don't have facts.  You do have facts.  Nice
shiny facts.  Some of them even sound a bit scary.  But you never seem
to show any reasoning behind the claim that those facts prove that
things are terribly broken.  Then you skip ahead, again never actually
showing the connection, rather simply asserting it over and over, that
since things are broken there is a conspiracy to make them so.

--Jon Radel