[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Paul G. Timmins ptimmins at clearrate.com
Fri Jun 6 11:05:48 EDT 2008

I was going to say the same about you. If you're angry, just sue someone
already and get it over with. I tried to be neutral in this, but hearing
months and months of conspiracy theories and now some sort of push for
OSI CLNS over IPv6 because of some "certain root operators want to keep
their monopolies on anycast sales" (obviously a reference to the usual
suspects you decry on a daily basis). Maybe we let these people run the
root servers because they do a good job at it and don't screw up? Are
you offering to run a root DNS server? It's a job you get to do for
free, and then net kooks can implicate you're part of a secret cabal.
Sounds like a good deal.

Tellya what. You set up your own ARIN running OSI CLNS, and your own
root servers over OSI CLNS, and if it takes off and the majority people
actually use it instead of IPv6, I'll buy transit from you. Deal?

Until then, I think I speak for the silent majority when I say that your
conspiracy theories and bandying about of legal terms freely,
denigrating people who are generally respected as good actors on the
internet (and if you don't like that, PROVE OTHERWISE! Making your case
on PPML is great, but you know what they say about arguing on the
internet. Pick your venue and go for it!) just weakens your case in the
eyes of the public, and make PPML look like a collection of bickering
adults in their mother's basements wearing tinfoil hats. As the glorious
comic book I got last summer states: Who is ARIN? YOU ARE! And frankly,
I don't want history to see us in this light. Well, maybe they can see
you in this light, but not the rest of us. Maybe you could start a
livejournal for your rants or something.

-Paul