[arin-ppml] IPv6 in the Economist

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Fri Jun 6 10:42:58 EDT 2008

Paul G. Timmins wrote:
> Dean, are you on drugs? I can't tolerate this garbage anymore.
>
> From: arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net [mailto:arin-ppml-bounces at arin.net] On Behalf Of Dean Anderson
>
> DNS is very severely broken in IPv6. This non-technical reason is that
> certain root operators want to keep their monopolies on anycast sales,
> and so (for technically inexplicable reasons), they have advocated
> mixing IPv6 and IPv4, and silenced dissent in apparent violations of
> anti-trust law.  So, there are no IPv6 root nameservers. Instead, one
> mixes IPv6 DNS records with IPv4 DNS records on the same nameserver.
> This totally unnecessary mixing creates stability problems for both IPv4
> and IPv6.  One has to remove IPv4 NS records to make room for IPv6
> records, so any effort to deploy IPv6 comes at the expense of IPv4
> stability. While bad enough, that isn't the worst part.

this is truly amazing stuff!  i am deeply impressed with the level of
invention, delusion. and paranoia.  it's better than some of the sci-fi
i read on airplanes.  i need to let some of this nut's stuff through
when i need amusement.  procmail needs a mood sensor.

in my small experience, dns mostly works in v6.  the issues are at the
level of specific implementation oddities, xp not using v6 transport
being the worst (i bought a mac).  and some implementations which don't
do dhcpv6 also do not use the wkas.

randy