[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-16: Ipv4 Soft Landing - asimulation analysis

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Thu Jan 31 03:00:52 EST 2008

> b) abandon 2007-16 as a bad idea

I would say, abandon it. In particular, the simulations don't deal with
the pent-up demand, i.e. people don't ask for IP addresses because they
want some, but because they NEED some. In the face of that NEED, I
expect that whatever the system, people will find the cracks in it, and
the end result will be little net change in exhaustion dates.

Let's face it, we've already run out of IPv4 addresses and the only
thing we can do is to spend money on implementing IPv6
<http://www.getipv6.info> or spend money on stretching IPv4 with things
like double NAT, mandatory NAT, etc.

--Michael Dillon