[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Feb 28 17:04:21 EST 2008

Thus spake "Cliff Bedore" <cliffb at cjbsys.bdb.com>
> One problem with listing end user blocks for sale is that technically,
> the end user can no longer justify their current allocation and it would
> seem that ARIN would be justified in reclaiming them is a fair number
> of cases rather than approving a transfer sale.

You're missing the difference between "justify" and "need".

I don't _need_ a public address for every host on my network, even though
I'd be _justified_ in getting such from ARIN under current policy.  All I
_need_ is a handful of addresses and a NAT box.  If someone was willing to
pay me to switch from the former model to the latter -- more than my cost of
doing so -- why would I choose not to?

There's also the issue of determining if ARIN _can_ reclaim unjustified
address space from the people that hold most of it: legacy holders.  Any
attempt to do so is virtually certain to result in expensive lawsuits that
will drag on for years, defeating the purpose.  This proposal would give
legacy holders an economic incentive to give up address space that we likely
could not get back by any other means.

For that matter, ARIN doesn't think it can reclaim _any_ unjustified space
except in the event of fraud; that may change if 2007-14 passes in Denver.
Even then, that proposal contains an explicit exemption for legacy space due
to the above issue.

>> Do any of those reasons alter your opinion, or do you still believe
>> IANA Free Pool exhaustion is the wrong time?
>
> I understand your argument but I think the answer has to decided based
> on whether ARIN is more interested in promoting the switch to v6 or
> band-aiding v4 for as long as possible.

I've been told that ARIN (meaning the corporation, not the community) is not
in the business of promoting one protocol over another or encouraging people
to switch.  Being a resposible steward, which is ARIN's charter, means they
must continue to serve v4 needs to the extent possible given the technical
constraints; if people find that v6 meets their needs better due to not
having those technical constraints, people will move of their own volition.