[ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Feb 28 10:59:53 EST 2008

In a message written on Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:11:33AM -0500, Cliff Bedore wrote:
> I think the idea of this proposal is necessary but I don't think ARIN should
> be in the business of assisting transfer sales of IP addresses unless they
> have no assets to fill a legitmate request.  It may be implied somewhere that
> ARIN will not allow a sale if they have assets available but I didn't see it.
> Therefore I'm not convinced that "exhaustion of the IANA IPv4 free pool" is
> the correct time.  I think transfer sales should start the first time ARIN
> can't meet a legitmate request and even after that, should only be allowed
> when ARIN doesn't have the particular size requested available.

In one of our sessions someone proposed "the first time ARIN could
not fill a request"; and we were in fact informed that had already
occurred.  While a bit of a technicality, I suspect the issue was
ARIN did not have enough free space for a large request, and had
to go back to IANA for more space which prevented them from filling
the request right away.

The problem with using the date ARIN can't make a sale is that it
is different for different people, and in fact may not be what you
request.  ARIN could keep a table of "we can make /18, /19, and
/20's" on the web site, but making a /20 may use up the last /18
and take it away.  Or, someone may ask for a /20, work with ARIN
staff who only sees justification for a /21, but there are none of
those left.  If someone was basing their decision on the availability
of /20's that won't work so well.

Lastly, if we wait for ARIN to be unavailable and then spin up the
system described in 2008-2 there will likely be a small gap during
which no one can get space.  While I believe ARIN staff can manage
the transition quite nicely, there is a level of public education,
putting information on the web, having staff process a new type of
request, etc.  I think many on the AC wanted to err on th side of
a small amount of overlap rather than a small gap in service.

Do any of those reasons alter your opinion, or do you still believe
IANA Free Pool exhaustion is the wrong time?