[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal

David Kessens david.kessens at nsn.com
Tue Feb 12 16:49:34 EST 2008

Raul,

On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 08:31:34PM -0300, Raul Echeberria wrote:

> One observation.
>
> Accepting transfers only within the region is a
> way to keep the IP addresses within the regions
> in which they were originally allocated.
> I don't know if it is good or not, but a fact.

I would formulate this slightly different:

Accepting transfers within the region is a way to keep the IP addresses
*registered* within the same region.

When the problems are big enough, people will find ways around
arbritrary and restrictive procedures that are designed to keep
addresses within a certain region.

In addition, liquidity is key to providing a viable and vibrant
marketplace. Barriers to this usually only benefit people in the
arbitrage business in addition to larger corporations that have a much
easier time to operate across borders.

David Kessens
---