[ppml] "Who's afraid of IPv4 address depletion? Apparently no one."

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Feb 9 14:11:40 EST 2008

> IPv6 is not a flag day; there is a dual stack transition period and
> ALG's can easily bridge the two.  There are more than a few enterprise
> networks designed with RFC1918 space internally and a small DMZ
> network with dual homed mail servers, VPN servers, web proxy servers,
> and the like.  At least in the short term these enterprises will
> be well served by getting a /48 from their upstream, putting IPv6
> on the outside interfaces of the 10 or so boxes in the DMZ, and
> leaving the rest of their 10,000 internal systems alone on IPv4
> RFC1918 space.
>
> They will be able to send e-mail and browse web sites on IPv6 only
> boxes just fine.  The VPN servers will allow someone with IPv6 only
> at home to create an IPv4 tunnel back to the internal corporate
> network.
>
> --
>        Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
>         PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/

	right model, but (imho) 180 degrees out of phase.
	think IPv6 only islands w/ a thin veneer of IPv4
	(say a /28) on the outside.  the ALG's to support
	this are not well defined, with the IETF reconsidering
	work in this area.  some call this NAT-PT, my favorite
	is the CERN-IVI box... which might see the light of
	day 3q08...

--bill