[ppml] [arin-discuss] Justifiable Censorship?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Feb 6 14:26:34 EST 2008

Thus spake "Edward Lewis" <Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz>
> Prior to the past few ARIN Open Policy Meetings there were long
> discussions on the many proposals put before us, all germane to the
> task ARIN has set out to fulfill.  13 proposals were covered, 12 of
> them new.
>
> We are about 24 or 48 hours before the deadline for new proposals to
> get discussed at the next OPM.  There are currently 8 open proposals,
> 6 of them carried forward from the previous meeting.  Just 2 of them
> new.
>
> It's not conclusive evidence of anything, it's not a scientific poll,
> but something seems to have derailed the functioning of ARIN.  I
> looked up these because, it seemed to me, that there's a lot less to
> read in preparation for the next OPM, less that any meeting in recent
> years.
>
> Yet there are so many posts to the ARIN lists.

In contrast, I find that PPML has been comparatively dead for the last
couple of months.  There were a large number of controversial proposals (as
well as many editorial ones from the AC or staff) in the last cycle which
generated quite a bit of discussion, but they were largely dealt with in
ABQ.  There's only been a few proposals since, which generated a fair bit of
debate (much of it tangential).  Unless someone's secretly screening
proposals before they get to PPML (which I do not believe), it just seems
that everyone decided to take a break for the holidays or we've simply run
out of new things to propose for a while.

One might consider the latter to be a sign that there's no remaining
significant problems the community sees with the NPRM.  I'm sure that claim
will generate some comments of its own, but IMHO that's a good thing: if you
disagree with my statement, please speak up so that someone can help you get
a proposal in the works, hopefully before the deadline.