[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicyfor IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Tue Dec 30 16:48:54 EST 2008

> In a message written on Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:06:53AM +0900, Randy Bush
> wrote:
> > lol. you mean turn the existing natural black market into one where we
> > can actually track and see the transfers, have the rirs data actually
> > reflect reality, etc.  the market exists, whether we like it or not, get
> > over it.
>
> Is this true in general, or is there something that makes the RIR
> data unique?  After all, the same argument could be applied to many
> other things:
>
>   There is a black market in .....
>
>       Rolexs
>       things that say Disney on them
>       drugs
>       weapons
>       endangered species
>       prostitution
>       murder for hire
>       babies
>
>   ...therefor we should turn it into a white market where it can
>   be tracked and see the transfers.  The market exists, get over
>   it.
>
> If your love for markets is absolute, I admire your conviction.  If
> its not, and you see a need for sensible rules at least for some
> markets then I suggest articulating why you think the RIR market
> should be a wide open free for all might be a more useful use of
> electrons than waving your hand as if it was an obvious absolute.
>
> The existence of a black market does not mean there should be "free
> trade" or no rules, it mearly means the item at hand has value.
>
> --
>        Leo Bicknell - bicknell at ufp.org - CCIE 3440
>         PGP keys at http://www.ufp.org/~bicknell/

[Kevin says:]
Thank you Leo, that was a much more eloquent stating of what I was trying to
say.

My base feelings are that if what we are after is profit taking then perhaps
an IP market is the way to go.  This would not be my primary goal, but then
I am not and likely will never be declared king of the world.  If the
position opens up though I am available.

If what we are after really is managing and controlling the "Black Market"
IP infrastructure then the way to do it is to diminish the value of the
commodity, which in this case is quasi/non registered IP blocks.  Without
value or operability of the commodity the black market would collapse.