[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-6: Emergency TransferPolicy for IPv4 Addresses - Last Call

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Dec 30 16:36:50 EST 2008

In a message written on Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 04:06:53AM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> lol. you mean turn the existing natural black market into one where we
> can actually track and see the transfers, have the rirs data actually
> reflect reality, etc.  the market exists, whether we like it or not, get
> over it.

Is this true in general, or is there something that makes the RIR
data unique?  After all, the same argument could be applied to many
other things:

  There is a black market in .....

      Rolexs
      things that say Disney on them
      drugs
      weapons
      endangered species
      prostitution
      murder for hire
      babies

  ...therefor we should turn it into a white market where it can
  be tracked and see the transfers.  The market exists, get over
  it.

If your love for markets is absolute, I admire your conviction.  If
its not, and you see a need for sensible rules at least for some
markets then I suggest articulating why you think the RIR market
should be a wide open free for all might be a more useful use of
electrons than waving your hand as if it was an obvious absolute.

The existence of a black market does not mean there should be "free
trade" or no rules, it mearly means the item at hand has value.