[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal: Depleted IPv4 reserves

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue Dec 2 17:05:51 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 03:51:38PM -0600, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> That's not to say I support this proposal, but it does have a certain
> appeal.  However, I'm not sure that further efforts to extend the life
> of IPv4, even if only for smaller orgs, is in the long-term interests of
> the community.

It is if it helps to facilitate movement to IPv6.  Some small orgs may
need an additional allocation/assignment in order to get through the
transition.

I think I would support this proposal.  I wouldn't mind seeing
something added that required a justification to include plans for
migration to IPv6, as additional gratuitous consupmtion of IPv4
probably shouldn't be encouraged.  The intent seems solid, and I like
the simplicity of the policy change.  This will require further
thought, but it seems like a good idea at first glance.

-David